Just under 25 miles from downtown San Diego, Solana Beach, CA is situated atop a series of bluffs overlooking 1.7 miles of Pacific coastline, with Del Mar to the south, Cardiff-by-the-Sea to the north, and the village of Rancho Santa Fe to the east.
When Solana Beach, CA was first developed in the 1922 by Colonel Ed Fletcher, the bluffs along the coast had no opening to the beach. Upon successful completion of the ingenious project using hydraulic water pressure to erode an opening, the new access and beach were named Fletcher Cove. Fletcher Cove today is often the site for community events, and in summer Thursday evenings there are reserved for “Concerts at the Cove.”
Synonymous with the name Solana Beach, CA is the Cedros Design District. Located on Cedros Avenue, the Design District is an eclectic mix of over 85 distinctive shops, with everything from furniture, antiques, art galleries and designers to clothing boutiques, gifts, gardens and cafes. Along the west side of Cedros Avenue, there is a row of Quonset buildings; semi-circular, curved-roof, pre-fabricated corrugated metal structures reminiscent of those used by the Army. A familiar landmark now occupied by stores and boutiques, the buildings were originally designed and used by the Bill Jack Scientific Instrument Company in the 1940’s.
Solana Beach, CA has one of three San Diego County transit stations with both Amtrak and local Coaster stops, and the station also serves Del Mar. In a respectful “tip of the hat” to the quirky Quonset profile, San Diego architect Rob Quigley integrated the semi-circular, curved-roof concept with elements of traditional design for the station.